Re: Star trek again..Major Kira and Commander Dax

From: Robin Gordon (gordonro@GOV.ON.CA)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 07:46:02 PDT

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Sean Johnston wrote:

> creators of DS9 know your discontentment. Star Trek has always been so run
> by fans, ultimately, that I think they'd listen to you.

Unfortunately Sean, this has not been the experience of the lesbian and
gay fans of star trek. There is a length history of queer fans lobbying
for star trek to live up to their claim that queers exist and aren't
discriminated against in the ST universe. The response has been extremely
disappointing, first the episode of STNG where Riker falls in love with a
deviant "feminine" person from a planet of enforced androgyny, far from
placating queer fans this episode came across as very homophobic and very
sexist.

And I still see homophobia at play in what has happened with Kira's and
Dax's (to a lesser extent) characters. It seems clear to me that at a
certain point the producers decided that Kira was too dykey, and a
concerted effort was made to "straighten" her up.

Robin
Resistance is Fruitful.