Re: So who is on this list?

From: HScott/PAronoff (alterego@ROCLER.QC.CA)
Date: Sat Jul 12 1997 - 06:35:04 PDT

I was introduced to science fiction in grade school when a friend
recommended _The Martian Chronicles_. Then I read everything I could find
by Ray Bradbury.

Later I discovered Jules Verne and read everything I could find by him --
without really considering the fact that he was translated.

I don't remember which was first feminist sf book I read was. May have been
_The Female Man_.

Now I'm a translator, and among other things, I translate feminists and
feminist sf.

Elisabeth Vonarburg has been mentioned a few times on this list. I am
currently her translator. So far, I have translated a story for the
_Tesseracts 5_ anthology (Tesseract Books, 1997), two stories for the
forthcoming _Tesseracts 6_ anthology and I am working on two novellas for
a forthcoming publication in a collection of her short fiction. Then, I
suppose I'll start on the Tyrana‘l series (five books!).

I have also recently published a new translation of the Quebec feminist
classic _L'Euguˇlionne_ by Louky Bersianik (_The Euguelion_ (Montreal:
Alter Ego Editions, 1996)). This book, first published over 20 years ago,
is sometimes classified as science fiction (no spaceships, tachyon beams or
blasters); it is about "a sister from another planet" who comes to Earth
searching for the male of species.

For more, visit the Alter Ego Web site:

http://www.alterego.montreal.qc.ca/

Scott & Aronoff Translation & Editorial Services
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
alterego@alterego.montreal.qc.ca