Re: Mars/social justice

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@prodigy.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 11:12:45 PDT

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

I'm of divided mind about this question. I subscribe to the ideals of
space exploration - surely its to the benefit of all peoples to expand
knowledge and open up our options as a species. But I believe the space
program in its current incarnation will accomplish those ideals only
incidentally.

NASA seems to have its roots firmly in the alliance of military,
politicians and industry that made the Cold War so profitable for the
economic elite (and which also keeps the Cold War going today, absurdly)
. It's difficult to see the immediate benefits of NASA space programs,
except for spinoff improvements to consumer products - and aren't these
really benefits to industry? For me, it's even more difficult to imagine
that the players in this scenario - NASA, its contractors, the
politicians who support it - have much interest in the long-term benefit
of lower-income folks such as myself.

And I'm concerned that the main thrust of NASA's programs in the long
term will be exploitive - mining, commercial use of near-space, etc. Yes
, capitalism is a great motive for exploration. But historically this
kind of exploration and settlement has been as destructive as it has
been constructive, wasting opportunities in quests for specific
resources for immediate markets. (An earthly example: How much more
productive and sustainable would the Great Plains be if we had studied
and tended the region's abundant original resources instead of
"terraforming" them to European standards?)

I wouldn't play this as a NASA vs. welfare issue. I see it as a
rethinking issue. Approaching space exploration with the worst possible
motives (military advantage and profit) seems like a terrible way to lay
the groundwork for our possible future.

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft