Re: sexuality in feminist sf (was sex scenes)

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 11:56:48 PDT

Erik Tsao <etsao@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU> asked:
>I taught Samuel Delany's _Tales from Nerveryon_ last year in a freshman
>composition class. The odd thing is that the students didn't seem to
>complain about the presence of a homosexual relationship between Gorgik and
>Small Sarg. It was the women who were most open to reading and discussing
>these issues. The male students seemed to be somewhat discomforted by the
>reading material. On the other hand, a colleague of mine really focused on
>sexuality and feminism in her class and received a huge amount of
>resistance from her students. Here's an interesting question. Would this
>have something to do with the differences in gender between myself and my
>colleague? Do students tend to respect male teachers and their
>idiosyncratic interests more than female teachers and their interests?

Insufficient data: as critical thinking contiues to be eliminated, a
potentially important part of your qestion is the ages of the people
involved. A "generation gap" hypothesis relating to less and less
intellectual capability might account for your data at least as well as a
"gender" hypothesis.

Neil Rest