Re: sex scenes

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 11:57:20 PDT

While Joanna's comment
>Feminist SF sex scenes are anything but boring because there's so >much going
on in them besides sex.
is worth saying, I'm not sure how far this connects to Poppy Z Brite. I'm
probably not really in a position to comment as I completely bogged down in (I
think it was) her first novel and couldn't finish it (and can't remember the
title), but my distinct impression that she was not a feminist and was not
writing from this perspective, a feeling reinforced by press interviews in
which she claimed that she was 'really' a gay man (though I believe she has
since married, something gay men are not yet generally permitted to do...). I
suppose she could claim to be writing from a 'queer'/transgressive
perspective? But I think this differs somewhat from feminism.
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@msn.com