Re: elizabeth hand

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@MSN.COM)
Date: Sat Jul 19 1997 - 14:30:32 PDT

'Waking the Moon'
I read Winterlong and was no more than moderately impressed, really disliked
the sequel (title I forget, perhaps Freudianly) but was really impressed by
WtM; even though I did have some cavils--felt that the violence of the
returning goddess could have been perhaps more strongly related to repression
by the Benandanti (??), instead of being presented as an innate characteristic
(if open to this other reading). But it did have a genuine ambivalence over
who were the goodies and the baddies which was exciting, especially as
presented from p.o.v. of the 'little person' caught in between. Also, it
seemed to me to be well-written without the rather self-consciously 'fine
writing' of the other works.
Haven't seen the latest E Hand--not in p/back? awaiting a UK edition? (the
import shops here in London sometimes do not get US editions of books lined up
for UK edition--presumably some kind of publishers' restriction).
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@msn.com

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Erik Tsao wrote:

> Has anyone read Elizabeth Hand's _Awaken the Moon_ (recently published by
> Harper in mass market paper)? I just finished it and passed it on to a
> friend. Thoughts on the book?

        "Waking the Moon". And I loved it. Very lush, very detailed, and
just amazing to read.

        Maybe it's because I'm an Anthropology and Religious Traditions of
the West major, but I loved it. All these exquisite elements coming
together deliciously. And a main character that was utterly fascinating.

        I've tried to read "The Glimmering", another novel of hers, but I
just couldn't get into it...

Kate Bolin