Space exploration

From: Anne V Stuecker (avs5@JUNO.COM)
Date: Sat Jul 19 1997 - 14:39:19 PDT

<daniel_l.krashin@TAMC.CHCS.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL> writes:
>I was frankly surprised at how negative
>people were about the space program -- I hope there are a lot of
>listmembers out there who are more positive about space exploration but
less
>outspoken.

Me!

>If we are confined to Earth's resources, we
>are forced to choose between glaring injustice and poverty for
everybody.

I don't understand why these are the two choices. If we see our future
on Earth in such a fatalistic way, then we will be encouraging a
destructive attitude towards the planet. It will be like saying, "Well,
we can trash this planet, because we can move to another one, or to a
moon, and set up shop there until we trash it, too."

This discussion of people's anti-space exploration attitudes reminds me
of a radio call-in show where a person on a cell phone asked the host
what the space program had ever done for him.

  -- Anne