Re: 11 of 441 nobel prizes to women...

From: Beth Middleton (bmiddleton@PLANT.SIU.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 11:48:07 PDT

I think this web page on women in science misses the main point. It's not so
much a problem in education anymore. The female/male ration in grad school,
at least in some of the sciences is getting fairly even (e.g., biological
sciences). The problem is social. The job market is so narrow for Ph.D.'s
in the sciences, that you must move to the job. Most women opt to put their
relationships first, and careers second.

At my university, we have but a small handful of female science/mathematics
faculty. Almost all of them moved here with their husband's job, and then
eventually "lucked" out or chiseled out a job opening in their area. To do a
career in science, you have to move to the job. This is the problem.

Beth