Re: Movies, Alien 4

From: Robin Gordon (gordonro@GOV.ON.CA)
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 11:28:51 PDT

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Catherine Caporusso wrote:

> De-lurking to say that I was also very pleased with the discussion on
> Contact. Now that I know it's OK to talk about movies, has anyone heard
> anything about Alien 4? Any chance of it being a feminist film?
>
> Catherine Caporusso; graduated from UIC in 92; now women's rights lawyer
> working at the AFL-CIO in DC through a fellowship; always was a feminist
> and always loved science fiction, but only recently started reading
> feminist science fiction; very interested in reproductive issues; love
> STNG, the Holdfast trilogy, and Tank Girl

Another lawyer! I'm very jealous of your work at AFL-CIO, I work in
labour law too, though here in Canada, just accepted a position doing
grievance arbitration with OPSEU (Ontario Public Service Employee's
Union).

Anyways, I saw a trailer for Alien 4 which looked good, and I LOVE that
signourney weaver but have to say I'm skeptical about two things: how do
they bring her back to life and why is winona ryder in it?

Tank Girl is absolutely fantastic, anyone who hasn't seen it definitely
should, it is very fierce young feminist and fabulous fun. Not only one
but two terrific female heroes, tank and jet girl, out to save the young
girl who is anything but helpless herself.

robin.
"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
ani difranco