Re: Outer Limits

From: Sharon McCaffrey (Sharle@ibm.net)
Date: Wed Jul 30 1997 - 10:13:41 PDT

HScott/PAronoff wrote:

> Probably my favourite _Outer Limits_ episode. I'm always a sucker for time
> travel and time paradox stories, and this one had some important social
> themes (dealing with the trauma of rape, how society deals with repeat
> sexual offenders, capital punishment, abortion rights, the use of fetal
> tissue in research...). The acting was a big factor in the success of the
> episode. The scientist is played by Amanda Plummer and the cop by Michelle
> Forbes (Ensign Ro Laren to us Trekkies).
>
> SPOILERS BELOW:
>
> At 10:55 PM 22/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Did anyone see _The Outer Limits_ this weekend? It's about a female
> >scientists who invents a time machine and uses it to go back to the past
> >and kill convicted sexual criminals before they kill their first victim.
> >Another woman, police officer, tracks her down just before the scientist
> >goes back to kill the man that raped her as a teenager.
> >
> >If anyone seen it, please tell me what you think.
> >
> >Marina
>
> I think Amanda Plummer especially did a great acting job. A scientific
> genius, but one obsessed and in endless pain from being held prisoner and
> raped repeatedly as a young teen. Her killing of serial rapist/killers
> to-be did not help her with her personal pain; ironically it multiplied
> because she still remembered every possible universe she destroyed. She was
> only saving others from the similar pain.
>
> When she finally took the step that erased/prevented her own pain, she
> "un-saved" all those other women, and restored the cop's pain at the murder
> of her best friend.
>
> So in this story, the time-travel paradox is not about the fate of the
> planet or of the galaxy, but the pain of rape victims and those who love them.
>
> Howard
>
> Scott & Aronoff Translation & Editorial Services
> Montreal, Quebec, Canada
> alterego@alterego.montreal.qc.ca
I agree it was a great story. I felt badly for the woman scientist and
her pain. I like stories about time travel a lot. I'm intrigued by the
various theories about time. Some people believe that the past present
and future exist simultaneously and that our reality in just one portion
of it. I've over simplified it. Any how I'd love to got into the past.

Sharon