Re: goddesses, Fifth Sacred Thing

From: Tamara K. Shaw (tshaw@TOOLCITY.NET)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 00:46:52 PDT

Holly Yasui wrote:
 (Re: "The Fifth Sacred Thing):
> discussion about this book would be of interest to me.

I would be interested in discussions of this work also. Has
anyone read the prequel yet? Is it out?

> Also, I'd like to pose an earlier question that didn't garner much response
> last month -- I hope some new people on the list may be able to answer. Can
> anyone recommend any other good feminist science fiction that deals with
> issues of race and class?

I just finished Octavia Butler's "Clay's Ark" for the umpteenth time.
It's a quick read and deals with how different people (women and men)
are "strong" in different ways and at different times. Race is
an underlying issue in parts of it, as is interracial marriage, class
distinction and what makes us "human." Most of Butler's books
deal with race in one way or another.

> Holly

Tamara
tshaw@toolcity.net