Re: [*FSFFU*] Event Horizont - _bad_ movie (some major spoilers)

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 09:17:17 PDT

>-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
>Me:
>> >Kathleen Quinlan imagined her young son in danger. All the way to
>> >Neptune, and still on the mommy track, eh?
>Sean:
>> I could understand Quinlan's character and what she does. I think it
>was
>> overblown, though.
>
>To be more explicit, I found it telling that the filmmakers didn't
>imagine Quinlan having a *professional* nightmare, as Fishburn did,
>rather than a *personal* one. You'd think a veteran space doctor would
>have enough professional nightmares to choose from.
>
>But really, this movie won't bear up under much analysis.

I found it refreshing, looking back, that Quinlan's character had the
nightmare she did because it's only natural that the thing a mother would
be most concerned with would be her kids (especially considering what
happened to her kids), regardless of her job. Fishburne's character wasn't
a father, or, even if he was, he didn't have such a personal tragedy within
his family as Quinlan's did. When people are in war or are hostages or
even on a business trip, the thing they seem to miss most is not a friend
but their family.

-Sean