Re: [*FSFFU*] GI Jane

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 13:43:28 PDT

>>Probably because Demi, though very in-shape, doesn't look anywhere near as
>>hard in the body as Hamilton or Bassett. Weaver's in a class by herself
>>because, while more thin than muscular, she carries a certain weight
>>because of her height (about six feet even, I think) and she has a way,
>>with her eyes and, indeed, her whole face, of adding to her imposingness
>(I
>>know that's not a word) by affecting a certain expression. Her pronounced
>>bone structure helps, too, and Hamilton and Bassett have similar bone
>>structure (pronounced, very strong jawlines, very noticeable cheekbones,
>>potentially hard eyes). They're all also better actors than Demi, who's
>>pretty good herself.
>
>I think that Demi was _very_ hard in the body (although she didn't start
>out that way) - did you see those muscles in her neck? I'm surprised
>that you think her body wasn't as "tough" as the others.
>
>I am concerned that your concept of "tough-looking" -- tall, strong
>jawlines, "hard" eyes -- is gendered
>toward a male standard. The reason that I think all of these women (and/or
>their characters) are "tough-looking" is the determination shown in their
>eyes, facial expressions, and body language -- in addition to the muscles
>on all but Sinead, of course. If you meant to say, and you've suggested
>it, that Demi _through her acting_ had difficulty demonstrating that
>"toughness," then I agree with you.

Actually, no. I was saying that Demi's shape actually seemed to make the
characteristic. I think there are more large-breasted, in-shape women out
there than women in extremely ripped shape. As to being tall and all, I
think that's a human standard, not just male. There are plenty of short
and tall stars who are tough, but it seems to be the tall ones who look
tougher. Take Sigourney Weaver vs. Holly Hunter or Clint Eastwood vs. Gary
Sinise. All of them are tough customers, but Sigourney and Clint make
people take notice more because they're big. Or, how many superheroes,
male or female, are short? Wonder Woman's around 5'11". Superman's about
6'2". Of course, these are idealized and tie in with what our concept of
"heroic" is which tends to tie in with what our concept of tough is.
        Then we run into problems with the word "tough", since that's
traditionally associated with men. As to Demi's neck muscles, they're
there all right and they look good, but look at a ballet dancer's neck
muscles and you see pretty much the same thing and I wouldn't consider them
tough in the sense that we're talking about here. all I'm saying is that
notable neck muscles do not a hard body make. I saw very few veins or real
muscle (that'd be Bassett or Hamilton). She actually looked more muscular
in "Striptease".

>>...I notice that Hamilton, Weaver and Bassett (to a lesser extent in
>Bassett's case) are
>> relatively small-breasted, which may add to their appearance of hardness.
>
>It also makes them look more like men (see above).

I dunno. Would Holly Hunter look more like a woman were her breasts larger?

>>I would hope that the Navy wouldn't not pick a person simply because their
>>breasts were too large, whether naturally or due to implants.
>
>I did not mean to suggest that! I just think that a woman with Demi's
>dimensions might find it difficult
>to qualify, making her appearance in the movie possibly unrealistic.

Welll, the Senator was looking for somebody they could use on camera, since
this person'd be getting some attention. This is why she didn't use the
powerlifter, choosing Demi the swimmer instead. If anything, I don't know
that the real person would be so beautiful, since hardly anybody's as
beautiful as Demi, but to elaborate on that point would be to go into the
idea that, well, this is a Hollywood movie and most stars in Hollywood
who're on Demi's level are pretty good-looking, blah, blah, blah.

You make some very good points, but I just wanted to point out the other
side as I see it.
        Ever see "Strange Days"?