[*FSFFU*] GI Jane

From: Catherine Caporusso (104525.2243@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 13:07:10 PDT

>Probably because Demi, though very in-shape, doesn't look anywhere near as
>hard in the body as Hamilton or Bassett. Weaver's in a class by herself
>because, while more thin than muscular, she carries a certain weight
>because of her height (about six feet even, I think) and she has a way,
>with her eyes and, indeed, her whole face, of adding to her imposingness
(I
>know that's not a word) by affecting a certain expression. Her pronounced
>bone structure helps, too, and Hamilton and Bassett have similar bone
>structure (pronounced, very strong jawlines, very noticeable cheekbones,
>potentially hard eyes). They're all also better actors than Demi, who's
>pretty good herself.

I think that Demi was _very_ hard in the body (although she didn't start
out that way) - did you see those muscles in her neck? I'm surprised
that you think her body wasn't as "tough" as the others.

I am concerned that your concept of "tough-looking" -- tall, strong
jawlines, "hard" eyes -- is gendered
toward a male standard. The reason that I think all of these women (and/or
their characters) are "tough-looking" is the determination shown in their
eyes, facial expressions, and body language -- in addition to the muscles
on all but Sinead, of course. If you meant to say, and you've suggested
it, that Demi _through her acting_ had difficulty demonstrating that
"toughness," then I agree with you.

>...I notice that Hamilton, Weaver and Bassett (to a lesser extent in
Bassett's case) are
> relatively small-breasted, which may add to their appearance of hardness.

It also makes them look more like men (see above).

>I would hope that the Navy wouldn't not pick a person simply because their
>breasts were too large, whether naturally or due to implants.

I did not mean to suggest that! I just think that a woman with Demi's
dimensions might find it difficult
to qualify, making her appearance in the movie possibly unrealistic.

>>I'd be interested in hearing whether the movie has any
>>persuasive effect on anti-feminists.

>I'm not anti-feminist, but how do you mean "persuasive"? Converting them
>to feminism? Making them at least acknowledge, if not accept, feminism?

I should have been more specific -- by "anti-feminist," I was referring to
those who oppose women in combat.

Catherine