Re: [*FSFFU*] GI Jane

From: Teragram (dropjohn@TOGETHER.NET)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 14:45:35 PDT

>>I haven't seen the movie - but if the implication is that women can't be
>>tough without fitting a certain body type (and that Demi Moore doesn't fit
>>that type; ergo, she wasn't right for the role), that seems to me to be
>>making some dangerous assumptions. Sure, it's handy to have weight and
>>muscle mass in a fight, but training, speed, and endurance can more than
>>tip the balance. Not to mention determination.
>

>Of course, it's ideal so have all of the above. I find it intriguing and
>frustrating when people limit themselves to thinking that if they have some
>muscle, they can't be as quick, or as enduring (to a point). I've found my
>reflexes much faster with added muscle.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in the point I was trying to make - men
(gross generalizations!) are taller, heavier, and have more muscle mass
along with better gross motor skills than women. Women (gross
generalizations!) are more flexible, have faster reflexes, and have greater
endurance, as well as better fine motor skills. Proper training adds to
anyone's skills in all these areas.

No matter how much I work out though, I will never have bulging thews (my
muscles don't work that way), I will probably always weigh less than the
average male. None of this means I cannot be an effective opponent in a
physical confrontation. All it means is that I have different strengths and
weaknesses to exploit, as do we all.

Our culture's image of a powerful physique is one that not many women fit
and as such it is an inaccurate and incomplete image.