Re: [*FSFFU*] SF and Ecology, and travel restrictions

From: MARINA YERESHENKO (my0203@BRONCHO.UCOK.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 20:25:52 PDT

Neil,
You might be right about this. Even in the Soviet Union ID's in
airports became recquired only after a plane was high-jacked to Turkey in
1970, with the whole crew and some passengers killed by the terrorists
(who tried to emigrate that way). Before that, no one cared for the ID's
and names. Even though there was not a lot of freedom otherwise. The problem
is, any government would rather be accused in violating human rights
than in inability of protecting human lives.

Even now, in Moscow, which sometimes is praised for its democratic
changes in press, a person needs a special registration to live inside
the city limits, or even visit for more than two days. Joint patrols of
police and Army are checking documents on the streets and in subway stations,
arresting those who do not have a permit to be there. All this is done
in the name of "fighting mafia and terrorism". Besides, in most cases,
they check only dark-skinned people (which is explained by the danger of
mob clans from Southern Russia and Chechnia terrorists). If something
like that was done by a Communist government, that would draw a lot of
attention. However, right-wing actions in Eastern Europe now are seen as
progressive by the rest of the world.

Marina

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Neil Rest wrote:

> The "anti-terrorism" measures in force at U.S. airports include the
> requirement that each passenger show a government issued identification
> before being permitted to board the plane. It is forbidden to give away a
> ticket, or to buy a ticket for another person; the name of the pasenger
> must be on the ticket.
>
> If you ask the personnel if they've ever heard of anyone who's ever heard
> of this . . . sorry, I can't quickly come up with a better adjective than
> "fascist" regimen ever interfering with an act of terrorism, they can't
> understand what you're talking about. It's for our own good, after all.
>
> Neil Rest

        "Femininity is code for femaleness plus whatever society
           happens to be selling at the time."
                                                Naomi Wolf