Re: [*FSFFU*] Mimic (! some spoilage)

From: Kimberley A. Selle (kimselle@LOOP.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 11:23:44 PDT

I totally agree!!!!!!!

----------
From: Heather MacLean[SMTP:hmaclean@KENT.EDU]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 1997 4:50 PM
To: FEMINISTSF@listserv.uic.edu
Subject: Re: Mimic (! some spoilage)

At 10:11 AM 8/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Marina Yereshenko wrote:
>>_Aliens_ was a big-budget SF movie, so is _Mimic_. Films with
>powerful
>women _can_ be marketable and bring lots of cash.

Mimic is awful, awful, awful, and besides which, it's full of cockroaches (I
love snakes, spiders are no big deal, but roaches... *shudder* Must be the
housewife in me. ;). The trappings of "power" re: the female protagonist
are all hyper-stereotypical role-reversals, up to the "No, take me!" bravado
stance to save the poor little autistic boy from being annihilated... To
top it all off, there's some really weird kinda nasty racist stuff going on
in there, or at the very least, the same role-reversal/PC effort towards
redemption that doesn't even vaguely mask the still anti-woman, anti-black
paradigms underlying it all...

And, the special effects are nil.

Judgementally yours,

Heather