Re: [*FSFFU*] Friday

From: Jill Gillham (jilkey@GRFN.ORG)
Date: Sat Sep 27 1997 - 07:42:50 PDT

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Sean Johnston wrote:

> Really? I think that's great. I remember a girl who wanted to be on the
> wrestling team in high school. I think she would've done it, but her
> parents "had a hissy-fit". Like many others, I'd've liked to wrestle her,
> but I might've not enjoyed it so much if she started kicking my ass.
> Perhaps she was just ahead of her time.

It's been at least ten years since the first female hockey player on a
boys high school team that I can recall (in Michigan) and the world hasn't
come to an end yet. I seem to recall the number of women participating on
boys teams at the H.S. level in traditionally male sports is in the low
thousands and significantly growing each year. A few years ago, East
Kentwood H.S. made the state quarterfinals with a female hockey goalie,
and there have been a couple of women who have won wrestling district
titles going against the boys. (On a side note, I think that there are
wrestling coaches who like having girls on the team because a) they can
help fill out the lighter weight classes and b) girls hit puberty earlier
so they're more likely to be at the same weight class all four years,
which can get you a skill advantage when a lot of the people in a class
are underclassmen)

On Nadya: ( someone asked about the book)
The good:
1. Good primary characters.
2. Good description of the Oregon Trail and it's dangers.
The bad:
1. Fairly predictable. (You could easily guess just what was going to
happen with Elizabeth)
2. The bad guys were one-dimensional, and fairly stereotypical.
I wanted to see more of:
1. The oregon community. It seemed like an interesting place (would fall
under the concept of utopia) and from the epilogue, we know that Nadya's
decendants survived until the present day, so what happened in the years
in between?
2. The two Native American con women. They were having entirely too much
fun in life, and really added some spice to the story.

Jill Gillham jilkey@grfn.org http://members.aol.com/~ferndock2
\|/ \|/ D=|[[] "All-arm'd I ride, whate'er betide,
=0: + =0: = \O/ Until I find the Holy Grail."
/|\ /|\ |*| -- Alfred, Lord Tennyson [Go WINGS!]