Re: [*FSFFU*] _Courtship Rite_

From: Stacey Holbrook (ausar@NETDOOR.COM)
Date: Sat Sep 27 1997 - 08:01:09 PDT

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Edward James wrote:

(snip)
> And, incidentally, given that we are on FEMINISTSF, what do feminists
> today make of FRIDAY? It's the only one of the six with a female
> protagonist, I think.

I liked the adventure and the character of Friday but I was very
uncomfortable with some of the sexual aspects of the book. Other people
have mentioned their reservations about this also. I found the oversexed
characters juvenile. Far more troubling was Heinlein's attitude toward
Friday's rape. It never seems to really bother her and (SPOILER)....
.
.
(SPOILER)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
she not only forgives one of her rapists but actually has a relationship
with him! It was hard for me to believe that rape would be treated so
casually and wouldn't have -any- long term effect on Friday.

Stacey (ausar@netdoor.com)