Re: [*FSFFU*] Tolkien

From: Janice E. Dawley (jdawley@TOGETHER.NET)
Date: Tue Oct 21 1997 - 10:21:48 PDT

Yvonne Rowse wrote:

> Incidentaly, while we're talking about Oxford dons, how about CSLewis for a
> woman hater? His women are all evil or unpleasant and his girls have to be
> pretty and boyish (as opposed to girlish), able to follow orders and not
> blubber. I still have some affection for the Narnia books but they are full
> of petty nastiness that I could well live without.

I am not fond of the Narnia books, either. However, you might try _Till
We Have Faces_, which is a first-person narrative from the viewpoint of
a woman. It is really much better than anything else I've read by Lewis,
and does not come across as anti-woman at all.

-----
Janice E. Dawley ............. Burlington, VT
http://homepages.together.net/~jdawley/jedhome.htm
Listening to: Radiohead - OK Computer
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch." - Lily Tomlin