Re: [*FSFFU*] Tibet and Compassion & Empathy

From: Luz Guerra (lguerra@ibm.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 16:33:39 PDT

At 11:49 PM 10/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Neil Rest says:
><< the purpost of the culture of Tibet is to maximize compassion.>>

lg: I would only suggest that "culture" is a term that encompasses a
universe of social and individual behaviors/interactions and I don't
believe the culture of any one society/people has a single purpose. Some
cultures are more likely to nurture/value/encourage or even require certain
emotional responses to suffering -- one of these responses is compassion.

I don't know enough about the culture of Tibet to discuss it with any
authority, so my question is basic -- is all of Tibet/are all Tibetans
Buddhist? I do know that Buddhism has "three gems": Buddha, Dharma (the
way of understanding and loving) and Shangha (the community that lives in
harmony and awareness); so I assume that the culture of Tibetan Buddhism
also follows this path of compassion. But other societies that practice
Buddhism are not necessarily known for their compassion....

It's too early for me to bring this to a FSFFU thread?

paz, luz
Luz Guerra lguerra@ibm.net
Austin, Texas

"...No es para mi sino el polvo/ la lluvia cruel de la estacion/ No me
reservo nada
si no todo el espacio/ y alli trabajar/ manifestar la primavera...." --
Pablo Neruda