Re: [*FSFFU*] Tibet and Compassion & Empathy

From: Jana C. McCormick (Mcfynnan@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 20:49:15 PDT

Neil Rest says:
<< the purpost of the culture of Tibet is to maximize compassion.>>

Tell me, though, is that compassion for the sake of understanding and
possibly aiding in a way that is truly helpful to the individual? Or is that
compassion for the sake of esteem for the giver...?
It's tough to say and ideals may interpreted and used as the individual sees
fit.
Purpose dictates action...and knowledge of true empathy. Empathy and
compassion do not go hand in hand. Compassion can be just for form's sake.
  Have you ever spoken to a smug teacher or a smug social worker that was
condescending to those she was "lowering her/himself to help"? I have.
I need to research Tibet, though.