Re: [*FSFFU*] vampire recommendations

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 29 1997 - 19:00:54 PST

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Lesley Hall wrote:

> >Did I miss one of Hambly's? The two I am aware of are, Those Who >Hunt the
> Night and Traveling With the Dead. Where does Immortal >Blood fit?
> Immortal Blood must be the UK title for one of these (possibly Those Who Hunt
> the Night).
> The reasons why books are given different titles in the UK and the US
> completely elude me!
> Lesley
> Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com

Several reasons. Every publisher has a list of genre buzz words which are
thought to work in titles, ie boost sales. The buzz words for British
readers aren't always the same as for American readers. American
publishers sometimes think British titles are too literary or poetic.
Sometimes one publisher simply doesn't like another publisher's title.
Sometimes another book has been recently published in one country with the
same or a similar title and the publisher wants to avoid confusion.
Sometimes the author gets her/his way with one publisher and not with the
other.

Mike