Re: [*FSFFU*] Introductions

From: Nina M. Osier (mbarron@MINT.NET)
Date: Fri Nov 07 1997 - 14:23:55 PST

I've posted a few times, but never did introduce myself after joining
the list a few weeks ago. (Maybe it's been longer, life has been
chaotic lately!)

I've been an SF reader since I was 11 years old, when I discovered the
genre with the help of our local librarian. She responded to my request
for "stories about outer space" with "Raiders From the Rings," by Alan
E. Nourse; and "Ordeal in Otherwhere," by Andre Norton. Glenna Nowell,
it's all your fault!

I spent my 20's teaching high school business education and writing
every evening, all evening. I got to the place where instead of printed
rejection slips I was getting letters from editors that were still
rejections, but that explained why the mss wasn't being accepted; and at
that point I went back to school full time and decided it was time to
grow up and stop chasing rainbows. How foolish, in retrospect; but
that's how it was at the time.

Now I've been settled in as Director of the Division of Records
Management Services at the Maine State Archives for the past 10 years,
and I've started chasing the rainbow's end again. I hit that place in
the 40's where you begin to think, "If I don't do what I really want to
do with my life now, forget it!"; so one dark January afternoon I sat
down at my PC and went back to my first love.

"Exile's End" should soon be available from Electra-Light Books of
London, Ontario; I have a couple of other projects underway. This list
is a wonderful resource, and I'm enjoying it very much.

As another poster has said, this is probably more than anyone ever
wanted to know - but it's who I am in the proverbial nutshell.

Nina Osier (mbarron@mint.net, because as an adolescent I believed every
writer must have a pseudonym and mine was "Marianne Barron")