Re: [*FSFFU*] (fwd) Re: Introduction (Tardy)

From: Vonda N. McIntyre (vonda@OZ.NET)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 01:05:58 PST

Hi Julien,

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997 17:31:32 UT, Stephen Smith
<jrfss@CLASSIC.MSN.COM> wrote:

>HI Vonda:
> I was rather shocked to find you posting on this site and must say I thought
>it was a bit of a fluke.

How so? Um... have I been out of line in posting?

>In high school I was enamoured with "the Bride" for
>some reason (movie with Sting and Jennifer Beals) and used your movie
>adaptation for my forensics circuit.

Do you mean, to read while you were travelling?
I'm sorry to be so ignorant but I have no clue
what a forensics circuit is.

I talked to the editor after the book had been on
the stands for a while and asked him how it was
doing. "It was selling great," he said. "Until the
movie came out."

The original screenplay was a charming feminist
remake of THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. The movie
managed to take out most of Eve's spark. Maybe it
was just that the director was enamored of filming
Jennifer Beals lying on a fainting couch, I dunno.

> I am curious about this princess Leia bondage doll. If you could rant more
>about that I would be interested. Funny that men tend to remember Leia in
>that slave dress in the beginning of "Return of the Jedi" than anything else.
>(did you see the episode of Friends in which Ross wanted Rachel to dress like
>that? it was his sexual fantasy...yawn) Also where are all the females in
>Lucas's creations? the only main female character is Leia and she becomes
>more of a sexual pawn between Han and Luke...yes who will get the rich
>princess? I love Lucas don't get me wrong...but
>Julien

After STAR WARS came out and the studio was
sending out representatives to sf conventions to
plug the second movie, one of the guys showing
clips swore swore swore that there would be more
women in subsequent movies. I think there were,
what, two? in the background of EMPIRE.

I nearly got a speeding ticket trying to get my
Camaro to go into hyperspace on my way home from
seeing STAR WARS the first time, but the lack of
women characters, particularly in the background
parts, was a serious and distressing flaw as far
as I was concerned.

For all I know, the Leia action figure is aimed at
men rather than at kids. That would almost explain
it.

Vonda

http://www.sff.net/people/Vonda
Some official good news at