Re: [*FSFFU*] (fwd) Re: Introduction (Tardy)

From: Geoffrey D. Sperl (gamgee@geocities.com)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 21:53:55 PST

Vonda N. McIntyre wrote:

> After STAR WARS came out and the studio was
> sending out representatives to sf conventions to
> plug the second movie, one of the guys showing
> clips swore swore swore that there would be more
> women in subsequent movies. I think there were,
> what, two? in the background of EMPIRE.

I think they were refering to Mon Mothma (the Rebel leader in JEDI). As
you know, women have shown up even more in the novels, but even then
they're in bit roles just don't impact the storyline...with the
exception of _The Crystal Star_ and Hambly's books (though Anderson is
trying). Even the next generation of stars for the prequels only have
one woman (who will survive the first movie, at least): Natalie Portman
(the "Young Queen" and the twins' mother)

> For all I know, the Leia action figure is aimed at
> men rather than at kids. That would almost explain
> it.

It's aimed at men. I, as a completist, have always wanted them to that
action figure and always wondered why they left it out in 1983, just as
I wondered why there was no Tarkin, Owen or Beru, or Rebel Trooper. But
I digress. However, I first saw JEDI at 10...I really had no interest
in women at the time and I could have cared less what Leia was in. It
wasn't until (as sad as this may seem) the FRIENDS episode that was
mentioned that I realized the sex appeal of the costume. All I had ever
seen was Leia being degraded by Jabba. What (he asked rhetorically of
the Leia-lusters out there) is so attractive about that? Maybe I'm
still thinking of it as a 10-year-old...

I find Kenner's "Princess Leia Collection" intrguing...regular (3 3/4
inch) action figures with cloth clothing instead of the plastic and
rubber that are found on the regular figures. Kenner has basically
stated that this collection is being aimed directly at girls...I'm
trying to figure out whether it will work...

- Geoffrey