Re: [*FSFFU*] Tie In Novels: The End of SF or the World as We Know It?

From: Stephen Smith (jrfss@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 21:22:23 PST

----------
From: For discussion of feminist SF, fantastic & utopian literature on behalf
of Becca Stoler
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 1997 1:18 PM
To: FEMINISTSF@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU
Subject: Re: [*FSFFU*] Tie In Novels: The End of SF or the World as We
      Know It?

On a whole, you are correct... however.... There were womyn, other than
school mistresses that did have jobs. It was by no means a common practice,
but womyn ran/owned shops, were seamstresses, cooks, maids, household
servants, they worked in debtors prisons and orphanages, in short, womyn did
indeed have jobs. Emily Dickinson even held a job on her one for a while. If
memory
serves, she worked in a ladies dress shop. Sorry to burst your bubble.

No bubble burst here. Look at what I said below...you have confirmed my
point...
well maybe schoolmistress or
some
>such designated job...as long as it conformed to womens work) let alone
have
>an identity.
 WOmen may have been able to work, but they still did what were traditionally
"women's work"
        I'm not a dog with a bone...really.

I do see your point...though and will concede on this discussion. One
question I have though, didn't a few women write under male names? I think
(if E.m.Forster can be trusted) that women had to stick to writing things like
romances (remember Miss Lavish) or adventure stories with a romantic element
to them? Many other writers who wanted to write something outside that league
took male pseudonymes...like George Sand and George Eliot.
Julien