Re: [*FSFFU*] (fwd) Re: Introduction (Tardy)

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@ocsystems.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 10:02:21 PST

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Vonda N. McIntyre wrote:

> Don't think of myself as a celebrity -- several
> folks post to this list who are a lot better known
> than I am. Besides, there's no better way to get
> handed one's ego on a plate than to expect folks
> to recognize one's name.

Well, a friend of mine that I just visited last weekend was looking over
my shoulder at my e-mail and exclaimed "You get email from Vonda McIntyre
!?!?" I had to regretfully explain to him that I was simply lucky enough
to be on this e-mail list with you and several other authors, none of
which he had heard of. You may be more famous than you think, especially
with those tie-in books. He is one of those media tie-in freaks (despite
my pushing the literary stuff his way). Who knows, maybe he'll read your
books because of his obsession and like them enough to try out your
completely original works.
I have a feeling (from him and others) that a lot of media tie-in freaks
read (or would read) other sci-fi as well, just not with the daring that
most of us read it. In general I think it is somehow less risky. If the
connection between tie-in books and original fiction by the same author
was highlighted, maybe some of them would cross the gap. Do your tie-in
books feature info on other books by you are do they feature info on
tie-in books by other authors?

-- Joel VanLaven