Re: [*FSFFU*] _Sarah Canary_ sort of SPOILER

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 10:17:55 PST

NH: Made me think a lot too. I've always felt it a strong possibility
that we'll never be able to recognize alien intelligence because it'll be
so, well, *alien* that none of our markers for judging will apply. The
behaviour of an alien being may be completely incomprehensible. There is
also the possibility that Sarah's dress wasn't so much a spacesuit as it
was a cocoon (if I remember, there are references to butterflies all
through the novel). That made me think of references throughout human
history to sentient non-human beings living among us--the green children,
for example--whose behaviour is also incomprehensible. I think that
Karen Joy Fowler has deliberately not answered any of those speculations,
and I really like that. I have my own theories about what the %#@$&?)(*?
was going on with Sarah Canary, and given Karen's silence on the matter,
they're probably about as valid as any other.

-nalo