Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women

From: Penelope Gibbs (PENEL@CALC.VET.UGA.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 10:21:02 PST

Hi to everyone...I guess I am "delurking"...

I am a little bothered by the following statements:

> > In particular, Seven of Nine, Voyager's newest character, is clothed in the
> > tightest full-body suit that I've ever seen - not to mention the 4 inch
> > heels. Not exactly my picture of a strong, liberated woman. Even when she
> > was a Borg, her costume made sure to emphasize her large breasts and
> > buttocks. And the female Borg in the Star Trek movie "First Contact" was
> > also heavily sexualized. I haven't noticed any "buff" male Borg characters
> > to date.

I have a view of feminism that allows all women and men to dress (and
think and feel) as they see fit. I think we may misjudge
many people if we base our view of their "liberation" based on their mode of
dress. This includes characters on programs...

> And i picked up a rumor somewhere that they were going to have this
> spacegoing bimbo come out as lesbian!
> Though in her defense - she may be undergoing a delayed adolescence.>
>
> Patricia (Pat) Mathews
> mathews@unm.edu

Now, this is what concerns me. First, is the "spacegoing bimbo"
a reference to Seven of Nine? If so, what is "in her defense"
actually referring to? Is it the delayed adolescence in defense
of her attire, or her coming out as a lesbian?

Thanks in advance,

Penny