Re: [*FSFFU*] Tie In Novels: The End of SF or the World as We Know It?

From: Maryelizabeth Hart (mystgalaxy@AX.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 07:31:05 PST

Geez, what a weekend to be gone (all 3 days, Fri - thru Sun late!!) 218
messages in my in box, and so much stuff from FEMSF that I wanted to
comment on! I'm going to do separate messages, so as to be able to try for
pertinent subject lines.

One brief comment on media tie-ins: In my experience as a bookseller, the
crossover between media tie-in authors' audiences and their non-affiliated
works audiences seems to flow one way. Readers familiar with an author from
their own works may be willing to try a media tie-in work by said author,
but I seldom see readers of SW, ST, BVS, X-Files, etc. seeking out other
works by the authors they encounter there. It may be the effect Vonda
discussed of readers seeking different experiences. It may be that media
tie-in novels list other novels in that universe, rather than other works
by the author in general. I'm not sure. While I see Vonda, Kevin J.
Anderson, Barbara Hambly, Greg Bear, Kris Rusch, and others leading their
readers to the worlds of Lucas and Roddenberry, I don't see
the flow in reverse, for whatever reason.

Maryelizabeth
Mysterious Galaxy 619-268-4747
3904 Convoy St, #107 800-811-4747
San Diego, CA 92111 619-268-4775 FAX