Re: [*FSFFU*] SF comics

From: Heather MacLean (hmaclean@KENT.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 10:09:43 PST

At 07:31 AM 11/11/97 -0800, Maryelizabeth Hart wrote:
>Julien asked about SF comics. While a great many comics use SF ideas, there
>are not that many SF comics, as far as I can tell. Sure, time machines,
>cloning, space travel, and many more SF tropes appear in comics, but for
>the most part, (as far as I can determine) they are comics using SF ideas
>rather than SF ideas being told through this medium, if that makes sense.

I must have missed Julien's question... In France, SF bandes dessinees, or
BD (pronounced /behdeh/) for short, are a *huge* market--I would venture to
say (unsupported by any harder data than my general impressions) that SF BD
sell more than actual SF books.

Oh, and has anyone seen Delany's collaborative comic? Way fun...

Heather
=)

hmaclean@kent.edu
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~hmaclean