Re: [*FSFFU*] High heels and hard hats

From: Lindy S. L. Lovvik (laorka@BEST.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 10:14:51 PST

Me, I try to dress as often as possible the way I'd like to be
dressed in case of an earthquake. I want to be warm, very mobile,
and able to assist others as easily as possible in the case that
I am able.

I remember the day I was walking home from work in a hobble skirt
and high heels, being followed in a car by a jerk. Even after
taking off my shoes, I could barely move the way I REALLY wanted.

At the time, it was basic office attire for women and I had not
expected to have to walk home.

And what about nylons? So difficult to maintain in a "run-less"
fashion amoungst file cabinets, drawers, tables. . .etc. Trying
to Not run the things restricts movement.

Argh. . . women's clothes, #@$! They cost more, cover less
and are not very durable (not to mention a pain to clean).

I always notice the clothing of women in movies and SF shows,
movies and books. If they are dressed scantily amoungst men
who wouldn't get cold in a snowstorm, I don't usually read
or watch further, unless I suspect a revolution.

In _Woman on the Edge of Time_, the people would wear a piece
of scanty (very thin) erotic clothing for special occasions
made of algae or some similar material. I believe they called
it a "flimsy." It was made to be used once.

During other times, they wore utilitarian, attractive clothing
according to their wishes, I believe. (I am working off a
memory 5+ years old. I don't gave my copy, having loved, lent,
and lost it).

Lindy