Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women / Seven of Nine

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 22:12:18 PST

In a message dated 97-11-11 14:36:20 EST, Geoffrey Sperl wrote:

> Actually, the trend towards black actors as Kilngons seems to have
> started with Worf, especially looking at some of the notable actors who
> played Klingons on screen (for example, Christopher Lloyd and
> Christopher Plummer). Has anyone noticed that the female Klingons,
> however, tend to be played by white actors?
>
> - Geoffrey

They also tend to be made up with lighter complexions than male Klingons,
much like it is difficult for African-American women to be considered
"beautiful" (i.e. actresses and models) unless they are fairly light in
complexion. I've seen an interview with Tyra Banks in which she talked about
how hard it was for her to break through in modeling because she kept losing
jobs to African-descent models (since not all models are American) with
lighter complexions than hers.

Just food for thought....

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com