Re: [*FSFFU*] yet another thread

From: Geoffrey D. Sperl (gamgee@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 09:06:25 PST

Christopher Shaffer wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Sandra MacLaren wrote:
>
> > Re: gift-giving; I remember that it was difficult for me to talk to men for
> > weeks after I finished reading the book, and the same was true for many other
> > women I talked to. I usually recommend the book with some cautionary advise.
> > As for the men I've talked to who have read the book, I've found that they
> > just didn't get it.
>
> I'm curious to know what the men you talked to said about Handmaid's Tale
> that gave you this impression. I would think a person would have to be
> pretty dense to not "get it."

I'm backing Chris up on this one. Either you were talking to
jocks...no, bad stereotype, forgive me...either you were talking to men
who just don't enjoy reading and exploring a book or you were talking
men who listen to Rush and Howard Stern in the morning while having two
eggs, a slice of ham, and some amazingly weak American coffee (sorry,
all...I was spoiled by being in an English dept. with a great amount of
Europeans who introduced to me what real coffee is like). To go and
color that men just don't get it is rather inflammatory, no?

- Geoffrey