Re: [*FSFFU*] Clay's Ark

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 16:31:52 PST

>-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
>Just finished reading Butler's Clay's Ark, the first Butler novel for me
>. I was quite surprised at how violent it was, and how badly she treated
>her protagonists. Am I being oversensitive? Is this characteristic of
>Butler?
>
>Anyway, I found the alien disease and its effects quite interesting, and
>I kept trying to fit it into some kind of feminist frame, but it
>wouldn't go. (Seemed like a sequel was possible - was there one?)
>--
>David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com
>
>"We live in Gothic times." - Angela Carter

She, in my experience, does tend to have her protagonists go through the
ringer, but I should think most effective fiction would do the same. If we
think it's a bit much and feel a sympathy for them, then to a certain
extent the author's done her/his job in involving us.

-Sean

"Friendship must dare to risk. . .or it's not friendship." 'Picard' in
STNG: Conspiracy