Re: [*FSFFU*] Clay's Ark

From: Stahl, Sheryl (SFStahl@CN.HUC.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 13 1997 - 07:48:46 PST

<timidly venturing out of lurkdom re: one of my favorite authors>

I've found that a common theme in her work is that the protagonists do
indeed get put through the ringer - something cataclysmic happens to
them and they can't overcome it. This is one thing that sets Butler
apart from many authors (in my experience) is that at the end of the
book, they don't magically find a cure, or defeat the nasty aliens, etc.
- instead they have to find a way to cope. I find it both intriguing
and disturbing - I like happy endings. But in this way her books are
very realistic - I often can't solve the problems in my life, I just
have to find a way to live with them that keeps me sane and healthy - as
her character try to do.

sheryl