Re: [*FSFFU*] Maureen F. McHugh

From: Jennifer Krauel (jkrauel@ACTIONEER.COM)
Date: Sat Nov 15 1997 - 13:47:23 PST

sc wrote:

> Hi all,
> Someone - can't recall who - said they thought "China Mountain Zhang"
> would make a good movie. I agree. I enjoyed it a lot, the characters are
> so human and believable, and it's quite gripping. Has anyone read "Half
> the Day is Night" by McHugh? I'm finding it a bit disappointing. The
> writing is very good but the characters seem somehow more
> one-dimensional than "Zhang" and the plot is difficult to grasp. Any
> comments would be appreciated.
> Cheers
> SC

I agree with your assessment. To be fair I had very high expectations after
Zhang, so it's hard to imagine what wouldn't have disappointed. Makes sense
that Half was written first as some have suggested. Some elements of the
story, such as the underwater city complete with combustion-powered busses
and the voodoo ceremony were quite vivid and live on in my mind. But the
main characters were not compelling. I didn't really get the point of all
the virtual war games, or perhaps I got the point the first time. And
despite a great opportunity the female lead really was uninteresting. Hard
to recommend a book when you don't care about the two lead characters. At
any rate I'm really looking forward to her next book.Jennifer

--
Jennifer Krauel      Director of Product Marketing
jkrauel@actioneer.com 415.536.0715 fax 415.882.4372