Re: [*FSFFU*] Carr/Frank

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@ocsystems.com)
Date: Sun Nov 16 1997 - 19:44:41 PST

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Jenny Rankine wrote:

> Jayge Carr's _Leviathan's Deep_ was a fascinating role reversal novel of a
> woman-dominant world where males carried children in a sac in their bodies,
> and I've looked for any other books by her for years.

I read that and loved it as well. I also read another book by her,
_Navigator's Sindrome_ that is a look at slavery and includes quite a bit
of gender-based stuff though I'm not sure what it meant. Anyway, it was
IMHO a very good book on a purely story/readability front. I also read at
least one short story by her that appeared in _Women of Wonder, the
Contemporary Years_ called "Webrider". I loved that too. The back of
that anthology lists a huge number of SF books and stories by women.
Jayge Carr is listed as also writing _The Treasure Heart of the Maze_,
_Rabelaisian Reprise_, "Blind Spot" (in _The 1982 Annual World's Best
SF_), "Chimera" (in Synergy 4), and "Mourning Blue" (in Analog, Feb.
1993). I also remember reading somewhere (about the author on one of
her books?) that she has is a Phd physicist of some kind and is a
proffesor? I must admit that that impressed me to no end, especially
given the content and character of her writing (it wasn't overly hard).

Perhaps I should find those books and stories, read them, and if they're
good form a fan club and write some "unofficial" web pages. :) Glad I'm
not the only one who really likes her writing.

-- Joel VanLaven