Re: [*FSFFU*] German woman SF writers?

From: Petra Mayerhofer (pm@IER.UNI-STUTTGART.DE)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 13:45:10 PST

I wrote
> Well, David already answered half of the question. 'The Rocket to
> the Moon' must be 'Die Frau im Mond', which was done as a German
> Musical under yet another title in the fifties. I've seen it once in
> my teens.

Well, I was wrong about the German musical. I got a reprint of the
novel from the library. In the comment on the book the novel and the
film of 1929 are mentioned but never any remake. Furthermore, the
storyline does not fit with what I remember of the musical.

On 17 Nov 97 , DAVID CHRISTENSON wrote:
> Dave says (about _Die Frau im Mond_):
> Further research: Die Frau im Mond (Girl in the Moon) was a novel then a
> screenplay written by von Harbou, and directed by Fritz Lang in 1929, a
> follow-up to Metropolis, silent. It was supposedly the first SF movie to
> include scientific ideas about space travel, based on ideas of novelist
> Hermann Oberth. Supposedly no complete print exists (?).
To what do you refer here? A complete print of the novel? no, it
exists. Of the movie?, it is on video (at least according to the list
of our video shop).

Another correction:

In my email on German female SF writers I mistakenly said that Marlen
Haushofer published _The Wall_ in the fifties. 1962/3 is correct. The
Wall was published by Cleiss Press in 1991 but is out of print
(information from Amazon bookstore). The following review of the
novel is given by Amazon:

>From Kirkus Reviews , 08/01/91:
Originally published in German in 1962 and touted more recently as a
feminist's Robinson Crusoe, this somber classic from prize-winner
Haushofer chronicles the experiences of a (nameless) woman cut off
from her familiar city ways in a remote hunting lodge, after
Armageddon has snuffed out all life in the world beyond. With the
woman's diary of activities during the first two years of isolation as
foundation, the story assumes the shape and flavor of a journal. Saved
from instant death by a transparent, apparently indestructible wall
enclosing a substantial area of forest and alpine meadow, the woman
finds relief from her isolation in companionship offered by a dog, a
cat, kittens, and a cow and her calf, making them into a family that
she cares for faithfully and frets over incessantly with each season's
new challenges. Crops of potatoes, beans, and hay are harvested in
sufficient quantity to keep all alive, with deer providing occasional
meat for the table, but the satisfaction of having survived long
winters and a halcyon summer is undone by a second sudden and equally
devastating catastrophe, which triggers the need in her to tell her
story. Although heavy with the repetition of daily chores, the account
is also intensely introspective, probing as deeply into the psyche of
the woman as it does into her world, which circumstances have placed
in a new light. Subtly surreal, by turns claustrophobic and
exhilarating, fixated with almost religious fervor on banal detail,
this is a disturbing yet rewarding tale in which survival and
femininity are strikingly merged. Not for macho readers. -- Copyright
©1991, Kirkus Associates, LP. All rights reserved.

Petra
** Petra Mayerhofer ** pm@ier.uni-stuttgart.de **