Re: [*FSFFU*] Independent Female Characters (was: Re:X-Files)

From: MARINA YERESHENKO (my0203@broncho.ucok.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 19 1997 - 18:51:23 PST

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Geoffrey D. Sperl wrote:

> The first character that comes to mind is Dr. Susan Calvin, Asimov's
> focal character for many of his robot stories. Granted she comes with
> her own emotional baggage, but doesn't everyone? She's also dated by
> Asimov's era and dear John Campbell's iron-fisted control over SF, but
> she would probably be the proto-character of the one you're looking
> for...

I remember that when I started reading Asimov's book with Dr. Calvin, it
was really exciting to see a woman-scientist character. However, I did
not like the fact that he made her a total freak -- lonely, childless,
ugly, and with no life outside her job. For me, it was another statement,
that "if a woman it too smart, she must be an ugly old maiden, and if she
wants to pursue a career in science, there must be something physically
and mentally wrong with her". In other words, "if there were a man who
wanted her, she would not bother her pretty little head with all that
deep stuff". He was showing that in every little detail, referring to her
"uglinness" every time she was mentioned. Finally, it made me mad to a
point when I stopped reading the book. I used to like Asimov, but with
Susan Calvin, I think he created a character that he did not appreciate
enough to treat the way she deserved.

> Who else? > > 1) Capt. Janeway? >

I agree that she's a powerful character, even though I don't like her too
much. She reminds me of my department chair, who has a big pro-life
poster in her office, and who told me once that sexist remarks is actually
the way men show that they like you, and therefore, I should be flattered.
However, as in case of Margaret Thatcher, I believe that any powerful
woman promotes female equality just by the fact of her existance, no
matter how conservative she is. Besides, everyone does not have to think
the way I do.

> 2) Princess
Leia has some insight, but she's rarely given the chance to > shine

I agree. I wish there was a forth part of Star Wars, where Leia would go
for the training Luke did. After all, she had the same powers, since she
was his sister.

> 3) Ripley's a possibility, but I don't think she's quite what you're
> looking for (maybe that will change with _Alien Resurrection_

Ripley is the best! I think if there were an award for the best action
movie actor, I would give it to her.

> 4) Xena? Not my favorite (not even my least favorite), but perhaps

I like Callisto way more. Even though she's "evil", in my opinion, she
has a lot more personality. Besides, I can't stand the numerous
references to Xena's "criminal past".

> 5) Delenn from _Babylon 5_ almost seems to fill out the character-type
> you're looking for (though Elizabeth Lockley, Tracy Scoggins's character
> for the new TNT _B5_ projects, might be even better...or might not)

I like her a lot. Among all (and I know that a lot of people don't like
that) for the fact that she proves that a powerful woman can still have a
boyfriend. I think it's important to remember that kicking bad guys'
butts does not mean you can't date the cool ones. Affection does not always
imply weakness. And the fact that her man is not a perfect
character I see as a sign that a woman does not have to always look up to
her partner. Strong men date cute bimbos, why can't strong women?
Besides, if all heroes stay single, they might eventually become extinct...

Marina

        "Femininity is code for femaleness plus whatever society
           happens to be selling at the time."
                                                Naomi Wolf