Re: [*FSFFU*] New Genre

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 18:37:24 PST

In a message dated 97-11-24 16:06:49 EST, Lesley Hall wrote:

> Haven't yet got to 'The Moon and the Sun' (giving the extortionate
exchange
> rate applied by UK importers of US books) but another novel that seems to
> fit
> is Brust and Bull's 'Freedom and Necessity'. Has anyone else read this?
> What
> do you think of it? I didn't have my usually-sensitive teeth set on edge
by
> the Victorian (alternative-Victorian?) setting though I did notice a few
> small
> linguistic errors (either non C19th or non Brit usage) but fairly tiny.
> Possibly because of the rather Gothic ambience, so that it could be read
as
> being more about this convention... Plus I thought it did have a nuanced
> sense
> of the differences of different bits of the Victorian period--wasn't
making
> vast assumptions about 'prudery', 'hypocrisy' etc.
> Lesley
> Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com

I haven't read it yet, but ever since the first time I saw it in the store,
it's been firmly ensconced on my wish list. Hopefully I'll get it for
Christmas! ;) I'm a big fan of Emma Bull, so I'm always excited to see
when she has something new out on the shelves. I'd be interested to hear
what other people thought about it, however.

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com