Re: [*FSFFU*] Independent/feminist women in SF

From: Rhian Merris (RHIAN.M.MERRIS@CPMX.MAIL.SAIC.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 13:06:00 PST

Peggy Hamilton wrote:

 ----------
I certainly agree that Paksenarrion is a strong and indepentant woman,
but I would disagree that most of the strong characters are men. It's
true that the Gods were largely male, but Alyana, Lady of Peace and
healing was part of Paksenarrion's calling to be a paladin, so there was
a good Goddess, even if she was predictalby the patron of peace.

Another very strong immortal was the Lady of the Ladysforrest. She did
not get into the action very much because she never left the
Ladysforrest, but she was certainly a power to be recconned with.

Among the mortal women there was Arianya, Marshal-General of Gird, who
was certainly a match for Duke Phelan, and also a parental figure for
Paks. Canna, one of her companions on the run from Dwarfwatch was a
woman, more experienced and a teacher for Paks. One of the Duke's
Captains was female. Even the minor female characters, like Kolya
Ministiera and Estil Halveric were strong and independant.
 ----------

Quite correctly rebuked. Thank you. I'm not sure what exactly I was
thinking about. I guess I had forgotten (somehow) about Arianya, and was
thinking that all of the others, while strong, were overshadowed by
males. But I think I was mostly just wrong.

 ----------
One aspect of the character that did bother me was Paksenarion's total
lack of sexuality. Was this true of all paladins? Something to make
them less entangled in personal affairs and better servants of their
Gods? Or just Paks, because she was special, a kind of Galahad?

That bothered me too, to some extent. I felt that it was just Paks, but
I suppose it could be all paladins, with the reasons you give, and sort
of just to keep them focused and unconfused by personal emotions.

Rhian
rhian.m.merris@cpmx.saic.com