Re: [*FSFFU*] A Novel idea

From: jenn mottram (athena@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 15:59:20 PST

At 10:17 PM 12/11/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks, Becca. I was just about to thank the Goddess I live in England,
>which, despite its state religion is not threatening those of us who
>practice the old religion with a new edition of the inquisition, instead
>of the dear old USA with its freedom of religion and separation of chuch
>and state enshrined in the constitution and a right wing backlash which
>thinks it's funny to joke about gendercide. I thought this was a
>feminist list!
>
>Susan

Wow.

I must have inadvertently stepped on a lot of toes with what I thought was
merely a tongue-in-cheek statement (quoting, in fact, the (English) _Monty
Python's Holy Grail_) to a joke that Catweasel started.

Here's the response I sent to Becca.

>Please accept my apologies if I offended you. While I can't say
>I'm a true Wiccan because I have not followed any of the rites
>of initiation, I have the greatest respect for the traditions
>and honor involved. I also have had, back in my family line,
>an aunt who was burned as a witch. I understand the gravity and
>betrayal the Witch Hunts forced on the herbalists and older women of the
time.

>I meant the line only in jest.
>
>jenn

And so, I say again to you and everyone in this list. If I offended any of
you, please understand that it was only a joke. As you get to know me
better, and perhaps my occasionally droll humor, you will know that no kind
of malice was intended. I joined this list because I am a feminist and
ardent SF reader/writer, and hope that I haven't troubled the waters too
much with my entry.

Sincerely,

Jenn

--
{jenn mottram}       [http://www.infinite-edge.com/~infedge]
{generally poetry}                 [ Infinite Edge Magazine]