Re: [*FSFFU*] Anyone interested in starting a book group?

From: BJBenesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 23:13:56 PST

In a message dated 97-12-13 22:29:30 EST, Jennifer Krauel wrote:

> I know, it's so Oprah. But I've always been interested in book groups
> -- you know, everyone reads the same book and then gets together to
> discuss it. I don't have to tell you, though, about the odds of finding
> a feminist sf/fantasy book group in your town. And I have so little
> time for recreational reading, I hate to "waste" it on other kinds of
> books.
>
> This list is great for discussing books, but it seems that other than
> the big name authors (e.g. Le Guin) there isn't much of a critical mass
> interested in discussing a book at a particular time. So I thought we
> could nominate some books and schedule dates for their discussion.
> Perhaps this could happen in time for holiday reading?
>
> I have no agenda for which books to include. It'd be great if it were
> one I have but haven't read yet, of course! And it ought to be
> something still available in stores (or libraries) for those of us who
> don't yet have copies. We could perhaps alternate SF and Fantasy. And
> how long do you think discussion would go on between books - should we
> do one per month? Anybody care to suggest some structure?
>
> Jennifer

I think it's a great idea. I would definitely be interested, and I think the
book-a-month schedule would work pretty well. A month is usually enough time
for even the busiest of us to read a book and have time to digest and discuss
it. (At least, I think so....?) And alternating SF and Fantasy is a good
idea - or we could put out a list of like 2-3 books to be discussed during the
month, so if people only have time to read one, they can look at the backs of
books and see which on they're more likely to be interested in, and the folks
who have more time on their hands could read all three. And then it would
just be a case of looking at subject lines to see which book a person was
discussing.

Again, Jennifer, I think it's a great idea!! I hope there's a lot of response
to this one.

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com