Re: [*FSFFU*] Anyone interested in starting a book group?

From: Geoffrey D. Sperl (gamgee@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 23:07:24 PST

Quiltrek wrote:

> jkrauel@actioneer.com writes:
>
> << But I've always been interested in book groups -- you know,
> everyone reads
> the same book and then gets together to discuss it.>>
>
> Delurking because this sounds really exciting. I lack the experience
> necessary
> to even suggest structure, but one book a month sounds about right.
> (Until
> school starts again anyway : } ). If we could find a common source
> (such as
> one online) that might broaden our choices over those which are
> certainly
> available in libraries--although library access would give chances to
> those
> who can't or choose not to purchase books.
> Anyone else this excited about this idea?

Actually, I can suggest a structure running off of a book group I'm
involved with at the University of Michigan (the web page, if you want
to look at it, is http://www-personal.umich.edu/~esrabkin/fsftsched.html
- please note that the listserv that is listed there isn't a general
discussion one but merely one used for scheduling, etc.). My
suggestions would be:

1) We would need an organizer - someone to post the reading schedule on
their web page, open up discussion on the given day, etc.

2) One book a month. Set a day, for example: the third Monday of each
month, for the book to be read by.

3) Those who are interested would have to have a list, 5 or 6 books
long, of suggestions. Then the group could vote on the suggestions and
the top 6 or so books would be on the schedule for the next 6 months.

4) Openess: we would have to be willing to read not only things we've
read before, but also things that don't fall within the realm of
"books," such as sequential art (or comic books, if you will).

5) This may grow rather large, and could effectively dominate the list
during the time the book is discussed. If that happens, we should see
whereelse we can take the discussion...

- Geoffrey

--
"Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/8499