Re: Tepper's feelings against homosexuality

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Wed Apr 09 1997 - 16:22:16 PDT

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Nomi Liron wrote:

> I am a great fan of Tepper, but one thing that really bothers me is
> her implied stance against homosexuality. It is really apparent in passages
> in "Gate to Women's Country" where "gay syndrome" is explained as having
> originated from abnormal hormone levels during pregnancy. In the new society
> the women build and create from the ashes of the old, "gay syndrome" was
> identified and corrected at birth.
> I have generally found Sci Fi writers to be more open to alternative
> forms of sexuality, so the sentiment puzzles me.
> Does anyone else have difficulties with this issue?
>
> drink water, nomi

  Yes. I too have some problems with Tepper in that regard among others.
I really apreciate some of her ideas and like her writing style sometimes
as well.

  However, she seems harsh and angry. She repeatedly comes back
to religion as an all-encompassing evil. I'm not much of a supporter of
most organized religions, but I feel like she takes it a bit too far. I
had noticed mostly a distinct lack of homosexuality in her work. (though
_Gibbon's_Decline_and_Fall_ has a little bit). I suppose we must read her
writing with salt and wariness as we should everything.

  About sexuality and feminism. I think my personal feminist philosophy
might best be described as "Queer Theory." I am of the opinion that we
must examine and quite probably replace the societal distinctions that we
now make. What is more, I think that as a society and as individuals we
must always be conciously examining everything that we can. I don't think
we can ever rest on our laurels. I don't think that Sexuality and Gender
mean much. Also, they are very tightly tied together. Is there even such
a thing as sexuality? In a world where gender is motly irrelevant would
there even be questions about sexuality? In my experience there has
rarely (perhaps never) been a time when someone's specific sexuality
and/or sex/gender mattered much except as determined by society.
  There are a myriad different kinds of people, actually the same number
as there are people. The person who is perfectly normal in every way is
the real freak.
  It seems like many books that explore Queer ideas almost have to be
sci-fi (that or non-fiction).
  How better to explore these ideas than imagining worlds where things are
different.

  On a side note, has anyone else read much David Brin? I love his books.
In many ways they seem feminist/queer. (Though perhaps not with as much of
a focus on that aspect as other writers). In particular, _Glory_Season_
is an interesting look into feminist issues without being overly utopian
or overly critical. (In my opinion). In some of his other books he refers
to humans as "fems" and "mels" (women and men). This breaks the male
domination of the general term for human (can't remember what he used for
that). I thought that was neat.

  Love the list, just too much a bad writer to say much (sigh).
-- Joel VanLaven