Re: Summer reading

From: Denise Borgen (borgen@ESKIMO.COM)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 16:24:40 PDT

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Joel VanLaven wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 1997, Denise Borgen wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > What! a new Tepper that I've missed! when did that come out?
> > Sometimes I think I enjoy Tepper for the wrong reasons ( I admit it,
> > I love it when she rants, even when I know she's being unfair and/or
> > slanted I think she makes some valid points) but both my sister and I grab
> > every book by her we can find.
> > My first was Gate to Women's Country which was good but didn't really grab
> > me. Then a fellow librarian recommended Grass and I was hooked. Now I'm
> > trying to collect her earlier fantasies.
>
> I know what you mean. In many ways I can't help loving it when she
> trashes religion. It really feels nice to know that someone out there
> is a lot more angry and willing to be nasty about it than I am. Although
> I THINK that she is going too far, parts of me FEEL like she hasn't gone
> far enough. I especially can't help myself when she makes it funny. Like
> that whole thing in _Raising the Stones_ when she talks about how the
> religion took the commandment "Thou shall not be sexist pigs" to mean that
> pigs were bad and tainted so they shouldn't eat pork. (or something like
> that). I think it's the same part of me that like Dilbert cartoons
> (especially those with Dogbert trashing someone). Does anyone else notice
> that in some ways, Dilbert is a bit feminist? His female co-worker is
> very competent and amazingly strong, and his love interest was an
> athlete. Just a thought O-
>
> -- Joel VanLaven

I always thought of Dilbert as an equal opportunity offender -EVERYONE has
a fatal flaw. The admittedly intelligent woman seems to lack a sense of
humor. But this is a cartoon after all...

~ Denise M. Borgen ~ One half of the world cannot ~
~ ~ understand the pleasures of ~
~ ~ the other. ~
~ borgen@eskimo.com ~ - Jane Austen ~