Re: Topics of curiosity (was: yes, list is still here!)

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@york.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 00:54:24 PDT

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:31:25 -0500 DAVID CHRISTENSON wrote:

> Then came DS9, apparently conceived originally as sort of a troupe
thing
> , but the female characters quickly became dominant. So do they go
with
> this feminist flow? Hell no - they bring in Worf (that's the point
where
> I stopped watching every episode), they mate Dax with Worf, and
they
> impregnate Kira, all of which serves to radically tip the testosterone
> balance. (I'm oversimplifying, but hey, this is a rant, not an essay.)

Thanks for the warning, I will stop watching in the UK *now*. I only
watch iot to fill the gap left by the continued absence of B5 in this
country.

> Well I started this, so here's my last $.02 worth: the Star Trek
> universe represents classical liberalism, *not* progressivism, and
thus
> should be viewed with great suspicion by feminists, IMO.
>
> David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

The problem with liberalism (and with liberal feminism) is that
underneath it all is the belief that if x can make it so can y, even if x
had all the advantages bequeathed by privilige.

Dangerous stuff when used to oppose positive action,

Farah