Susan Calvin

From: Anny Middon (AnnyMiddon@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 17 1997 - 12:56:51 PDT

Since this is my first post to the list, I'll introduce myself. My name is
Anny Middon. I have absolutely no qualifications to participate in this
list, save a love of science fiction and a strong feminist philosophy.
 (Query: How many on this list are old enough to remember when Feminism was
more commonly known as Women's Liberation?)

Actually, I ask that for a reason. I'd like opinions on Susan Calvin, Isaac
Asimov's recurring robopsychologist character. When I first read most of the
stories, back in the late 60's and early 70's, I loved them. I think this
was largely because I was so happy to see at last a strong female character
(and a scientist, to boot!) in an sf story. But if I read them now, the
blatant sexism in them makes me a little queasy.

Although Dr. Calvin held an extremely important position at US Robots and
Mechanical Men, she was the only woman to do so. Even the middle management
ranks were staffed entirely with men, and when she retired she was replaced
by a man.

The defining characteristic of Dr. Calvin, mentioned at least once in every
story in which she appears, is her unattractiveness. At some level (and I
think this may be directly stated in at least one story) Asimov seems to be
saying that the only reason Dr. Calvin is a success in her field is because
she couldn't attract a man.

The other characters (all male) typically react to her in an intimidated and
scared manner, but also pity her. The only characters she seems to connect
with are the robots, and this is often remarked on in the stories. (There's
a big part of me that feels that, given the people she had to deal with, who
can blame her?)

OK, in the years since these stories were written, I've changed, times have
changed, ideas about women have changed. If we view these stories in the
light of the times in which they were written, do they seem so sexist? Did
Asimov have to make Calvin unattractive and acerbic so that a woman in such a
high position would be believable to his readers?

On a broader scale, why did it take science fiction so long to embrace a view
of the future in which women and men were equals? It seems that most science
fiction written throughout the 60's and well into the 70's presented futures
that included the same old same old, with men in the active and powerful
roles and women as helpmeets. _The Feminine Mystique_ was published in 1963,
the National Organization for Women was formed in 1966. How come it took so
long for science fiction to regularly see the future in nonsexist terms?

(Apologies to those who have heard me rant on Dr. Calvin on another list
[SF-LIT]. But I admit to a fascination with this character.)

Anny Middon
AnnyMiddon@aol.com